THE WONDER OF CHRISTMAS
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given." - Isaiah 9:6
1. IS THIS FACT TRUTH?
- The whole basis for what you and I believe comes down to the simple question: Do you believe that this is true?
- The question as to whether Christmas is real or not, is based on whether we believe that a child was born and that this prophesy was, in fact, fulfilled.
- Some time back I was watching some of the documentary channels on TV. A program came on about the life of Jesus. The narrator made that following comment: He said: 'The greatest attested fact of ancient history was Jesus Christ!' I have never forgotten this statement.
- But is it true?
- Is it true or is it just fable, legend and tradition?
- The wonder of Christmas is that we can believe with all our hearts that this is true. That God became flesh, the flesh of a human child and came to live among humanity.
- Just think about it, the same planet that you and I live, walk and work on, the Saviour of the world, the Creator of the universe, lived, walked and worked on.
- Christmas will never truly be Christmas for you, until you accept this as a reality and a truth.
2. IS THIS FACT TRUE FOR YOU?
- More than just a historical fact, more that just a part of ancient history, we need to ask ourselves the question: 'IS THIS FACT TRUE FOR YOU'?
- "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given." - Isaiah 9:6
- Let's personalize this verse.
- Take the word 'US' and replace it with your own name.
- "For unto Ingrid a child is born, unto Ingrid a son is given." - Isaiah 9:6
- This is the true wonder of the Christmas story.
- The Child and the Son was given to you and to me.
- Not just to humanity and history, but to you and to me!
- Not only must we accept this as a historical fact, we have to go a step further.
- We must accept it as a personal gift!
- Not for the person next to you, but for you!
- A Child was born for you!
- A Son was given for you!
- Have you received Him as your personal gift?
- Strip away, for a moment, all the history, the commercialization, the carols, the presents, the holidays and let's get back to basics.
- Have you received this Child, this Son that God gave to you!
3. THE CONNECTION BETWEEN ACCEPTING THE CHILD AND BEING A CHILD
- So we realise that that we must accept the historical event as the truth.
- We have to receive this Child as a personal gift to us.
- But we also need to be changed as a result.
- My children are young adults. Ever since they were born we have been under pressure to get them grown up. I remember someone trying to encourage me to get my daughter to start reading just after her third birthday. Other people would tell me that their daughter had a vocabulary of 1000 words at 3 years of age and asking me how many words were in my daughter's vocabulary. This question took me by complete surprise. We rush our children to develop into mature, well-rounded adults and then we speak of lost childhoods and missed youth!
- As a child you believe what adults say and tell you, but as we grow up we expect our children to question and decide for themselves, on everything they hear.
- We move from belief to rational explanation.
- But when we receive THE CHILD, something needs to change!
- Matthew 18:2-4 And He (Jesus) called a little child to Himself and put him in the midst of them, 3 And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly - humble, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all]. Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- We must become like a child.
- This is so foreign to human nature and what society tells us.
- There is a difference between childlike and childish.
- Childish - Immature, simple/silly, befitting a child.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
- Childlike - Having the qualities of a child, innocent, trust, humble, loving and forgiving, teachable, obedient and willing to do his father's will.
- Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
- Luke 10:21 Then Jesus was filled with the joy of the Holy Spirit and said, "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way."
- As we accept the Child, let us return to childlikeness.
- Childlike faith, childlike belief and childlike confidence in the Child that was given to us!
4. THE CONNECTION BETWEEN ACCEPTING THE SON AND BEING A SON
- Yes, we must accept the Historical fact as truth.
- Yes, we must accept the Child as a personal gift to us.
- Yes, we must be changed as a result.
- But it goes a step further.
- "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given." - Isaiah 9:6
- We have been given a Son.
- The question is: 'Are you a son yourself?'
- John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.
- Make the connection - Accept the Son and be a son or a daughter of God.
- As you receive the Son, you can become a son and a daughter of God.
- Are you a son or a daughter of God?
- Do you trust your Heavenly Father?
- Do you trust Him to be a father, a provider and a friend to you?
- Accept the Son and be a son!
- Don't settle for anything less!
5. IF GOD HAS GIVEN US A CHILD AND A SON, IF GOD HAS ALLOWED US TO BE HIS CHILD AND HIS SON, SURELY WE CAN GIVE OURSELVES COMPLETELY TO HIM!
- Have you given yourself to Jesus Christ?
- Have you given EVERYTHING to Jesus Christ?
- There was an old hymn we used to sing: JUST AS I AM.
- Here are the words: Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee, O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
- God has given us everything.
- John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."
- Surely we can give everything in return?
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own, You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.
- So now all that remains is to spend the rest of your life bringing glory to God in everything you do and say!
- Let the Child that was given to you be everything to you!
- 1 Corinthians 7:23 You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for by Christ]; then do not yield yourselves up to become [in your own estimation] slaves to men [but consider yourselves slaves to Christ].
By: Andrew W Roebert
These notes may be shared with others.