HE CAN DO IMPOSSIBLE THINGS
- As you read the story of the exodus (of the Israelites) from bondage and slavery in Egypt, to their eventual arrival in the Promised Land, we see a series of miracles, performed by the Lord on their behalf.
- Often, they would find themselves in situations where there was no possible solution but for God to intervene.
- We are living at a time in the world where many people find themselves in a similar situation.
- People find themselves facing challenges that need divine intervention.
- They have tried everything they can try; they have used up all their resources, and they are up against a wall, needing God to make a way.
- Well, I am here to encourage you and to remind you that HE (the Lord) can do impossible things.
- It was the great preacher, Billy Graham who said: ‘When we come to the end of ourselves, we come to the beginning of God.’
- If you find yourself at that place where only a miracle from God will be an answer, then these notes are something that will encourage you. Read on!
1 GOD IS FIGHTING FOR YOU
- There is a great song that we regularly sing at our church. It is called: ‘God is fighting for us!’
- The song reaches a crescendo and then this refrain is sung:
‘God is fighting for us
Pushing back the darkness
Lighting up the Kingdom
That cannot be shaken
In the Name of Jesus
And we will shout it out
Shout it out!’
- I believe that God is fighting for us and He is fighting for you.
- In the story of the exodus, when the people of God were caught between a rock and hard place with nowhere to turn, HE stepped in and started fighting for them.
- Exodus 14:25 He twisted their chariot wheels, making their chariots difficult to drive. “Let’s get out of here—away from these Israelites!” the Egyptians shouted. “The LORD is fighting for them against Egypt!”
- Eventually, even their enemies had to realise that the Lord was fighting for His people and they realised that they stood no chance of success and they turned and fled.
- You do not need to be shaken and you do not need to be moved, because your God is with you.
- The Lord is on your side and He wants to bring you into a place of victory.
2 HE DOES IMPOSSIBLE THINGS
- Doing impossible things is just what God specializes in.
- Another song we sing at church is a song entitled: ‘IMPOSSIBLE THINGS’.
- Here are the words:
‘One Word, and the walls start falling
One Word, and the blind will see
One Word, and the sinner's forgiven
Because You do impossible, impossible things!’
- We need to start to look for and believe in impossible things.
- When the nation of Israel had reached the end of the road and the enemy was about to pounce and destroy them, God stepped in and did the most impossible thing.
- This is what happened:
- The cloud that had been in front of them began to move... (Can you even imagine seeing this?) It moved from in front of them to behind them and blocked the enemy from getting access to them. Then it even went to another level. It caused light to shine on the one side, for the people of God, and darkness to surround the enemy. The enemy was kept at bay and no one disturbed the other all night.
- Exodus 14:19-20 ‘Then the angel of God, who had been travelling in front of Israel's army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel. Throughout the night the cloud brought darkness to the one side and light to the other side; so neither went near the other all night long.’
- It was like the Lord moved heaven and earth to protect and make a way for His people!
- We should do the possible and let God do the impossible for us.
- If you are facing an impossible situation, then turn to the Lord and ask Him to move in your situation and bring about the impossible for you.
3 HE CAN TURN THINGS AROUND
- Turning things around is also the Lord’s speciality.
- Just think how humanity was lost in sin, He sent His Son so that things could be turned around and humanity could be reconciled to God and know eternal life.
- It is in the very character of God to step into our world and turn things around for good.
- In the exodus story this kind of thing happened in a very practical way.
- The nation arrived at an oasis and the water was bitter. The water was so bitter that it could not be used for human consumption. But God stepped into the situation, performed a miracle, and turned things around. He took bitter, useless water and turned it into sweet, usable water and everyone, including the animals were blessed and provided for.
- Exodus 15:23 + 25 ‘When they came to Marah, they could not drink its water because it was bitter. Then Moses cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became fit to drink.’
- It is interesting to note that it did not happen all by itself, but it was in response to the actions and obedience of Moses.
1. Moses cried out to the Lord. He called out in desperation and He turned to God for help, because there was nothing that he could do about the situation, and yet the Lord had brought them to the point.
2. The Lord showed Moses a piece of wood and told him to throw it in the water. The Lord may well show you something, something you need to do. It may even seem like a stupid thing, but if God is in it, it can be the source of the miracle.
3. Moses obey. He took the piece of wood that God had showed him and did what the Lord had told him to do. He threw it in the water. That must have been a real act of faith because Moses must have known for certain that that action would not, in itself, make any difference. But he did it.
- God did the rest and turn the situation around, turning bitter water into sweet water.
- He can do the same for you.
4 WHAT CAN WE DO?
- If you are facing impossible circumstances and you have run out of solutions, what can you do?
- Exodus 14:13 Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again.
1. DON’T BE AFRAID.
- Again, and again, in the Bible we are advised to not be afraid.
- You see Moses told the people to not be afraid.
- The Lord wants to tell you the same thing today: ‘Don’t be afraid!’
- Matthew 28:20 ‘And be sure of this: I am with you always!’
2. STAND FIRM.
- If you are facing impossible obstacles, then its time to stand firm in our faith and confidence in the Lord.
- Do the possible and leave the impossible to God.
3. WATCH AND PRAY.
- Be alert! Do not become complacent, anxious, or discouraged, be on the lookout for a breakthrough.
4. LET THE LORD FIGHT FOR YOU.
- Do not try and do everything in your own strength. There are some things that only He can do.
5. DO WHAT HE TELLS YOU TO DO.
- Exodus 15:25 ‘…the LORD showed him a piece of wood. He threw it into the water, and the water became fit to drink.’
- Obey what the Lord tells you to do. It may be as simple as making a phone call He prompts you to make, or submitting your CV just one more time…
6. HE WILL BRING YOU TO A GOOD PLACE.
- Exodus 15:27 ‘Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs and seventy palm trees, and they camped there near the water.’
- In the end He brought them through all the challenges and troubles, and they end up at a place with 12 springs. Just one spring may have been enough, but there were 12. He did not just provide one with perhaps one extra one as a backup… Now He provides them with 12. In addition there were 70 Palm trees. Not just one, or just a few, but seventy. It a picture of provision and plenty.
- Let us pass the tests and trust the Lord to do the impossible things and bring us to a place of provision and protection.
- Years ago, we used to sing a song entitled ‘HE GIVETH MORE GRACE’.
- Here are the words:
- ‘When we have exhausted our store of endurance
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun!’
- No matter how difficult or hopeless things may look, remember, that His giving is only just beginning, and He can do impossible things.
- Take heart and trust Him to do just that.
- Ephesians 3:20 ‘Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.’
By Pastor Andrew Roebert
These notes may be shared with others